Monday, August 1, 2011

Time for a New List/Do We Like the Rancher?

It's time for me to make a new list.   It's kind of addictive, this self improvement thing.   One positive change begets another and voila pretty soon you actually start to like yourself!   I'm proud of my accomplishments but now is not the time to start resting on my laurels.  So here goes!
  • Lose the rest of my weight.  Slow and steady wins the race.   I know what I have to do.   Work the WW program, monitor my points.  Eschewing vodka will help - there are a bunch of calories there.  My goal is to be 45 pounds lower than I am by my birthday on May 3rd.   That is eminently doable.
  • Younger Next Year - this is a great book that everyone should read.   It has been a huge source of inspiration for me.   The concept is that, with the right combination of lifestyle and attitude you can live your senior years with the health of a 50 year old and then just keel over dead at a good ripe age.  The average person lives a good long time, but wishes they were dead for the last decade or so because of poor health.   There is absolutely no reason for that to be.   You can give your body a springtime message and retain physical youthfulness well into your '80's.    So, do you want to be an analog watch and wind down painfully or would you rather be a digital watch and work perfectly until the day you just stop?    I am going to reread the book and incorporate the suggestions into my life.  It won't be easy to get a full, hard hour of cardio in every day, but it will be worth it.
  • Divorce - just get it done....soon.   Put that relationship behind you.
  • Business - figure out what your next incarnation looks like and make it happen.   I am a business chameleon.  I have successfully morphed my business through many different business climates in the past.   It's time to give my business that focus again and figure out how I can revitalize it and feel energized by it.   I'm good at what I do, but it's gotten so damn boring.   I need a new twist to feel excited.
  • Finances.  I should be fine with the residual revenues I have coming in - even without a new revenue source, I make more than most people.   Problem is runaway expenses and the fact that I'm supporting too many people.    I need to keep applying effort to simplify my life and cut expenses.   Get the office sold - that's a hemmorage.   Run a tighter ship.  Be a better consumer.
  • Make a 10 year plan.   What do I want my life to look like at age 65.   How can I get there?  Work a plan.
  • Singing - it's time to take it to the next level.   I need to be bold and figure out how I can get paid for doing what I currently pay to do.    I'm good enough to have a Friday night gig somewhere and make $100-200.    I also need to organize my repertoire, learn more songs, and I need to work on my one woman show called "Necessary Losses".   It's a concept I've had for a while and has to do with the book Necessary Losses by Judith Viorst.   It's about how you can't move forward in life without leaving things behind - loss is necessary for growth. I also plan on tying in my own necessary loss of the weight - everyone loves a good weight loss story and because it's rare to have such a loss without drastic measures like surgery, it's a good story to tell.   And of course the show will be cabaret and the philosophies will be punctuated with fabulous songs I will sing.  
  • New Challenges - because I don't have a TV, I miss out on a lot of popular references, so I'm not sure where this whole "bucket thing" came from (a movie, book or TV Show?)  But I've heard people talk about their bucket list and I think I understand it to be the list of things we want to do before we die.   I have a few:  I want to be in love in Paris, I want to learn to blow glass, I want to ride horses and look good in jodphurs and a tight hunter green blazer.  I want to feel the thrill of jumping over fences.   I would like to travel and make friends on every continent and then have them come visit me regularly.
  • Writing.   It's time for me to write a book.   I will do NaNoWriMo this November.   Stands for National November Writing Month.   Participants commit to writing 50,000 words which is the equivalent of a short novel.    It takes will and dedication to crank that much out in a month.   I will do it and at the end, hopefully have the skeleton of a compelling book that I will try and publish.
That's a good list.   Now it's time for me to work it.  These are not just pipe dreams - I can make ALL of this happen!

And on another note, I know I said that I wouldn't date yet and I'm not, but the Internet dating thing is a fun distraction, especially when you're lonely.   I have the app on my phone so it's fun to see who is interesting and interested in me.   It's like shopping for good books on Amazon - guy shopping.   So there is a rancher I'm communicating with and he is so funny and unexpected.   And can you imagine me moving to live on a cattle ranch in Nebraska?   Strangely, I can for the right guy.   Here are the questions he asked me today.   We are still just e-mailing me:

How many fish can you clean in a half hour? Do you sharpen your own filet knife? Have you ever been ice fishing? Do you bait your own hook? Can you swim; or at the very least float? How long can you hold your breath? How many Hula-Hoops and Jingle Jumps do you own? Did you prefer Hop-Scotch or Jump Rope as a young girl? Did your Barbie Doll ever date "G.I. Joe - A Fighting Man from Head to Toe?" or did she hang out with that "preppy fuck" Ken? Is your favorite base color for fine china red or blue? When is the last time you used it? What's your favorite brand of silver polish? Do you like antiques? Do you like folk art? Have you ever been fossil hunting? Have you ever dated a fossil? Which city would you prefer to spend a day in; Paris, Tokyo, or Amsterdam? When is the last time you received a post card from a friend? Have you ever stayed overnight in a B&B? Front or back seat on a bicycle built for two? Which show did you like best; "I've Got a Secret" or "To Tell the Truth?" Which TV show could you win more money on; "Wheel of Fortune" or "Jeopardy?" Tan or Burn? Do you like help applying sun tan lotion? Do you ever tan in the buff? Who's funnier; you or your girlfriends? How many comedy clubs did you visit last year? Were you in the audience or on stage? How well do you sing? Can you play a musical instrument? Do you know any magic tricks? Are you able to juggle more than 3 balls at a time? Do you wear shorts? How high is your tallest pair of heels? Do you like to hold hands? When's the last time you made a snow angel? Would you prefer to cuddle or French kiss, or both? On your place, do you have legacy flowers; Iris, Daisies, Mums, Hollyhocks, Peonies, Lilacs or Wild Roses? Do you have chickens where you live? What is the color of your favorite tractor? Do you think you have a chance at baking a better peach pie than me? When's the last time you played Backgammon? Checkers or Chinese Checkers? What's your favorite card game? Have you ever played Strip Poker? Did you win or loose? Do you like convertibles? Are you in possession of a secret family recipe for moonshine you would be willing to share? When you go to the dump to shoot rats, do you use a revolver or a pistol; or do you say the hell with it and shotgun them instead? How many skunks, raccoons, possums, and coyotes have you shot at in the last three years? How many did you hit? Do you have any shooting irons that you are able to put a 5" group together at 100 yards? Have you ever panned for gold and do you have any gold claims staked out in West Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California or Nevada? When is the last time you played a round of golf? What was you score? What is your handicap? Can you Cha-Cha, Sumba, Tango or Line Dance? How many large grapes can you peel in 20 minutes? What's your favorite color for intimate apparel? Where do you shop for intimate apparel; K-Mart, Fredricks's of Hollywood or Victoria's Secret? Shaken or Stirred? Milk or Dark Chocolate? Do you use the word "hot dish" or "casserole?" Which would you rather play; "Cast-A-Way Sailor and the South Sea Island Princess" or "Research Scientist and Faithful Lab Assistant?" Do you like fudge? What color are your eyes and hair? Are you right or left handed? Here's the punch line; "Why do you ask two dogs having sex?" can you tell me the joke? Do you take points off for spelling errors and grammatical structure? Are you up with the birds or night owl? Granny panties, French cut, Bikini, Thong or Commando? Now it really gets personal - - - - Are you ready? Are you a democrat, republican, independent, libertarian or a free thinker when it comes to politics, and do you have over or under three tattoos and where are they located?
Are you smiling or getting ready to move the cursor to the "Close Match" Button? 


Do we like him?

Love you all,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. My head hurt three lines into his line of questioning. At first glance he appears to me to either be controlling or simply trying too hard. And yeah, internet dating is a wonderful distraction... until you realize that until you heal up a bit more you'll keep revisiting your angst (repeating mistakes). In my twenties, thirties and now forties, I never met anybody worth dating until I said (and meant), "fuck y'all".

    ReplyDelete
  2. so - how did you answer?

    ReplyDelete